. . .burned in a furnace in the basement. There’s a lovely stack of split wood about two yards away. The ductwork brings the heat up into the house and through the floor vents.
Today I came home from town lugging armloads of groceries and, when I opened the door, gas fumes came billowing out of the house. DearHusband drove up in his truck at the same time, and I hollered out “We’ve got a leak!”
After scurrying about checking the propane line, the space heaters, and the kerosene lamps, we discovered that the load of firewood had been doused with gasoline from a can in the back of the pickup. We picked out all the logs that seemed damp or smelly and hauled them back outside.
Now we are sitting here with all the doors and windows wide open and waiting for the fire in the furnace to burn down. We were going to have the grandkids over tonight, but don’t want them exposed to the fumes, so we are planning to go to their house. I’m wanting the fire to burn out. Can’t help but think there may be fumes or maybe even a log we missed in the purge just waiting to ignite the house.
Sometimes I think my life would make a great reality show.